As battery is the main component of electric vehicle & in cost perspective major part of electric vehicle & maximum vehicle use Lithium-ion battery, But as know that lithium source are limited.
Lithium maximum production from australia,argentina,china & chile etc. & no production in india. So find out new solution researchers from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras developed a rechargeable iron ion battery & way towards reduce dependency on lithium.
Researcher developed the world’s first iron-ion battery.In this anode made from carbon steel & cathode made from vanadium pentoxide with electrolyte made using iron chlorate.
Advantage of iron ion battery on lithium ion battery.
- Cost effective (iron easily available).
- Stable alternative.
- Better storage capacity.
- More safe.
- Prevent short- circuiting of batteries.
- The redox potential of iron ion is higher than lithium-ion.
- Good power retention after number of charging cycles.
- Energy density is 220Wh/kilo compared to 350Wh/Kilo in lithium-ion.
Researcher checked performance for 150 cycle of charging & discharging & found good result.