lithium ion battery is the main part of Electric vehicle (EV) & some thing must to know about it.
Lithium ion battery
lithium ion battery is rechargeable battery & commonly used for electric vehicle & portable electronics device (Mobile,Laptop etc.). Lithium ion battery is also known as Li-ion battery.
Lithium is the lightest metals & greatest electrochemical potential & high energy density for weight.
Lithium ion battery inventor
Work on lithium battery start in 1912 under G.N. Lewis. The lithium ion was largely developed by great scientist John Goodenough, Stanley Whittingham, Rachid Yazami and Akra Yoshinoi during the 1970s–1980s & after that commercialized by Sony & Asahi Kasei in 19191.
Lithium ion battery chemistry
In lithium ion battery intercalated lithium compound as positive electrode (Cathode) & typically graphite at negative electrode (Anode) & electrolyte.
During a discharge cycle of battery, lithium atoms in the anode are ionized and separated from their electrons. The lithium ions move from the anode and pass through the electrolyte until they reach the cathode, where they recombine with their electrons and electrically neutralize & back when charging.
Lithium ion battery charging
Lithium ion battery charging through proper charger either ac charger or dc charger at moderate temperature.The Li-ion battery charger has voltage limiting device & manufacturers of Li-ion cells are very focus on the correct setting because Li-ion battery very conscious on overcharge.
Lithium ion battery life
The estimated life of lithium ion battery from 500-1500(some provide more than this) charge cycles also consider that battery has self life & life reduces from date of manufacture not form date of use. Elevated temperature and aging decrease the performance over time.The performance of a battery is measured in capacity, a leading health indicator. Try to avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is good.
Lithium ion battery advantages
- High energy density.
- Low self discharge.
- Low maintenance.
- It offers very high current in application.
- Eco friendly compared to lead acid & nickel-cadmium battery.
- Lightweight & compact.
- More safe as BMS provide additional protection.
- Long life compared to lead acid battery.
- Constant power throughout discharge.
- Highly efficient charging.
- No requirement for priming.
Lithium ion battery Limitations
- Protection circuit required for maintaining voltage & current with in safe limit.
- Subject to aging.
- Transportation restrictions in subject to regulatory control.
- Costly in compare to nickel cadmium & lead acid battery.
Lithium ion battery price
In 2010 lithium ion battery pack price was 1160$/kWh to reduce in 2018 & reach 176$/kWh, in 2020 it may reach 155$/kWh. It is assumed that it will reach 94$/kWh in 2024 & 62$/kWh in 2030. It continues to reduce 10-20 percent every year.
Lithium ion battery manufacturers
Lithium ion battery manufacturers in india
As of know very few players in manufacturing in india but it will increase soon. Recently Maruti announce to start manufacturing in gujarat with joint venture with toshiba & Denso corp.Maximum battery imports from China, Japan, South korea in india (Please check manufacturer website for exact detail about of product)
List of lithium ion battery in india
- Amara Raja Batteries Ltd
- Exide Industries Limited
- EON Electric ltd.
- Luminous power technology Ltd.
- Evolute Solution Pvt Ltd.
- Future Hi-Tech Batteries
Lithium ion battery manufacturers in World
List of manufactures is long, Here we consider some of them.
- A123 Systems Inc.
- Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC)
- Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC)
- Blue Energy
- BYD Company Ltd.
- CBAK Energy Technology Inc.
- Comtemporary Amperex Technology Ltd (CATL)
- eCobalt Solutions
- GS Yuasa Corporation
- Hefei Guoxuan High-tech Power Energy Co., Ltd
- Hitachi Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Johnson Controls International Plc.
- LG Chem
- Microvast Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Saft Batteries
- Samsung SDI Co. Ltd.
- TDK Corporation/Amperes Technology Ltd (ATL)
- Tesla Inc.
- Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co., Ltd.
- Tianneng Power International Ltd
- Toshiba Corporation
ISRO selects 10 firms for transfer of Lithium-ion technology
ISRO selects Ten company to transfer of its in house lithium ion technology that will help indian industries to set up own production facilities.
- Amar Raja Batteries Limited
- Bharat Electronic Limited
- Carborundum Universal Ltd.
- Exicom Power Solution
- GOCL Corporation Ltd.
- Jyoti CNC Automation Ltd.
- National Aluminium Company Limited
- Sukhbir Agro Energy Limited
- TATA Chemicals Ltd.
- Thermax Ltd.
For more detail about battery you may click here